Tuesday, October 17, 2017

You Can't Pour From an Empty Cup





So often, life is lived in fast forward. We come screeching in the door after work, throw a meal together, scarf it down, and rush off to the next thing. Commitment after commitment, obligations at work, fun with family and friends, hobbies...LIFE. Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans, right?

But how often are we refueling? How often are we taking time to refresh ourselves mentally, physically, spiritually?

My job is mentally demanding. I literally have to think all day. My husband teases me because his job is very physical and so when I come home and say I'm exhausted he thinks I'm crazy. But I am; I'm mentally exhausted. And so when I come home, after moving through the mechanics of my day and preparing dinner for my family and cleaning up dinner, very often I need to decompress. I need to sit still and not think. I typically grab a hook and yarn and crochet my stress away. Because if I don't give my brain a break, I get overwhelmed very easily. Normal, everyday things become cumbersome. Conversations become a burden and if asked to think or make a decision, I have a very hard time.

I always know when I've said, "yes" too much when I start to feel physically sick. I'm not a "no" person, I have a hard time with the word. I enjoy helping whenever I'm able in whatever capacity, so sometimes I find myself for weeks on end having something I need to do every minute of everyday. And obviously, if we're not recharging our bodies, they start to give out on us. Our own biological reminder to slow down and recharge. And it is always frustrating to me when I can't take part in things because I've allowed myself to get sick. So I'm working on only committing to what I can truly accomplish. It's hard. My husband is on me about always adding too much to my already heaping plate. But I'm working on it.

I can tell when I am in need of time alone with God when I am "stressed out". I'm a very unique person in that I can be very competitive, ambitious, and impatient but I can also be in total peace amidst chaos and very laid back. God gave me a wonderful balance of both, but when I'm not leaning on Him for wisdom and guidance, the wheels fall off. God has done amazing things in me with my anxiety. I have learned to cope through prayer and to give things over to Him. My God loves me more than I will ever deserve. And for some unfathomable reason, He chooses to fill my life with joy and peace, and even in the midst of trials, He chooses to bless and comfort me. And when I'm feeling more anxious than I should be, I know that I need to get alone with Him. Spend time in prayer and His Word and refuel.

My husband can't rely on me to help him make decisions for our family if my brain is mashed potatoes. (That's the phrase I use after I've used my brain too much that day lol). My church can't use me in ministry if I'm physically ill because I'm not getting the rest I need physically. My God can't help me if I'm not asking Him for it. How we take care of ourselves is important. We would never let our car continue to drive without ever refueling it. Because eventually, that tank will be empty and the car will be useless. Don't become useless, sweet friends.


                                                                                              Stay Knot Sew Fancy,
                                                                                                         Cryssi


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful for Infertility

Yep...you read that right. This year, I'm thankful for infertility.  It is around this time of year that people begin to reflect on t...